Just Another Day

"Any idiot can handle a crisis, it's day to day living that wears you out." - Chekhov

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

One Reflection

No matter the result, the fact that it is even close leads my wife to say, "I'm embarrassed for America." She further wondered if Americans really could be that stupid? When I told her that the youth vote, which was expected to have a very high turnout for once, didn't materialize, she replied, "All those fat young people in America have their own cars. Is it really too difficult to get in a car and drive to a polling site?" When I explained also that there were attempts to intimidate, mislead, and misdirect minority, immigrant and poor voters, and that many voters had registrations thrown out in about 5 states by a company closely connected to the GOP only to have the courts say, "Tough luck," enraged, she said, "Democracy in America has so atrophied? People aren't fighting about this?" She then made the same observation that I have made numerous times on this blog that democracy in America is no example for the rest of the world and is closer to what they call democracy here in Ukraine than the rest of the developed world.

As any who know her, my wife is no wilting flower and doesn't follow my lead. She has listened to my propaganda for more than three years and has alternately laughed at my rants or told me to shut up. However, in the end, she does agree with me that people like Bush are bad for democracy and people like Kerry are good for it. She is more distressed than anything, like most foreigners/immigrants I suppose, about the fact that America doesn't care about the rest of the world or trying to be one of the community of nations, indeed merrily boasts that it knows nothing of the rest of the world.

It's not over yet and I hope the Democrats fight for the rights of all voters and make sure everything is counted. If the will of the people is heard, the Democrats win. If the GOP is successful in shutting out voters who don't tend to agree with them, they win and the world will turn its back on America and let it rot from the inside out.


|