Just Another Day

"Any idiot can handle a crisis, it's day to day living that wears you out." - Chekhov

Friday, November 12, 2004

Rambling Thoughts

With all the talk of how to move the Democratic Party forward there seems to be a lot of talk about using the Republican Party method of how to go about it. I agree with building the foundations and think tanks to push ideas ahead but all this talk seems to be about how to boost the Democratic Party forward instead of America. This makes me a bit itchy. I am not a party man and never have been. Yes, now, there is very little, if anything at all, redeeming about the republicans. However, if we turn it into a party battle instead of a battle of ideas then America has lost. I reserve the right to vote for my candidate of choice and I will do that conscientiously without necessarily going party line. I want the right ideas in office not the right party. If one party has a monopoly on the right ideas, okay, I vote party line. And, right now it looks increasingly like this. However, let’s not forget that we are supposed to be moving America forward, all of America, not just the blue states, not just the liberal voters, not just those who believe in justice. Again, the republicans represent little to none of this but we have to keep in mind that it is the ideas that work not the party. If we turn towards party machines then we are no better than a banana republic and the country will sink deeper into vitriol.

True, I believe that the GOP has turned into a representation of everything of the way a democracy is not supposed to work. However, I was a republican at one time. After Iran Contra I thought again; after the religious right’s ascension I turned; and, after the years of scurrilous attacks on Clinton, I completely turned on the GOP. I can call myself a Democrat now, and have almost always been a liberal on social policy, because my ideas fall more into line with that party but will always reserve my independence in who I choose to elect. We need to spend the next years pushing our agendas, note the plural, and trying our damnedest to get the truth out there. That latter aspect is the most important part and the one thing that will be most devastating to the GOP. However, we need to make sure that the ideas we push, if indeed it is a unified Democratic Party, will indeed do the most benefit for the most people and not exclude people who disagree with us.

I think that last part is vital. We will always have disagreements about issues of personal morality and that is the very reason why we need to keep things like religion out of the party platform. If that means we keep losing, I prefer to stand on principle. If things keep moving towards failure without actually falling apart, though, then we can move into the lying to get ourselves in and then act on our true principles. However, I think if we get the truth out there a/o wait long enough, it will all fall apart for the GOP and the nation will turn on them for their abject selfishness in policy in order to maintain power.

As I said in an earlier post, be nice until it’s time to not be nice.

|