Just Another Day

"Any idiot can handle a crisis, it's day to day living that wears you out." - Chekhov

Monday, May 09, 2005

It Took a While But I've Come Around

For most of my cognizance I have been overwhelmignly unimpressed (really, really underwhelmed?) by fireworks. Bread and circus and all that. Well, until you see the excitement in your baby, 18 months old in a few days, you can remain that way. Today is the 60th anniversary of VE day and the fireworks set off thunderous booms all over the city for a short period this evening. It started slow with just the sound of cannons and no fireworks. Very ominous and sad to look at your baby and see that he is scared but trying to get something out of it, walking around going "Boom, boom" with a hesitance borne of fear. Ominous and sad not necessarily out of sympathy for your child but to think about what this city went through all those years ago and how many mothers had to care for frightened children while they themselves were afraid because the cannon fire was real and shells were landing. For those who don't know me well, I am a bad liberal and find it difficult to feel sympathy in this life, and the fact that I felt it this time gives some indication of how it felt. However, the mood changed when the fireworks started, and it was Kiddo who noticed, and he started screaming at the window while still going "Boom, boom." All of a sudden I felt an excitement watching the fireworks that I don't remember ever having before. Cool!

|