Just Another Day

"Any idiot can handle a crisis, it's day to day living that wears you out." - Chekhov

Friday, September 02, 2005

Compassion for Sale?

I know it's a long shot to think that the rich in Texas would open their doors for some poor blacks from Louisiana but perhaps we should pay these people some taxpayer dollars to try to recruit their compassion so they'll put some people up? At least that would be more honest than trying to blackmailing them into feeling guilty about the situation...which, in any event, wouldn't work because you have to have some compassion to feel guilt. Acting lessons aren't too terribly expensive, however.

And I know, for those of you who know me, that it sounds strange to hear a call for compassion from a person such as myself (for those who don't know me well enough - outside of my family and closest friends I am not a big fan of humanity; with those close ones, I am as warm and kind as a person can be but outside of that I am pretty indifferent - shit happens, do your best to keep living without stepping on another's toes and all that). Then again, if you do know me well enough, you know that there are few things I hate worse than hypocrisy and few things I enjoy more than calling people on their ostensible convictions and predilections.

|